Sunday, July 17, 2005

Senoirity makes you king

I am talking about a very different type of senoirity in Singapore, not those found in schools and such.

Every Morning on the bus..being the good girl i am i usually leave the seat for an old ah ma, if i see one, or i give it up if i encounter one later. I find that most of the elderly are very appreciative on the kindness and respect for them of us youngsters give them when we give up our seat. Sometimes however, i really have a problem deciding whether i should give up my seat. Don't judge me yet, those who take bus and mrt regularly will get what i mean. There are those elderly who are really very frail and old while there are those who still have a head full of black hair and look very healthy. So sometimes sitting there, i wonder if i should give it up or not, cos they dont have any problem balancing and stuff. Another problem is that of pregnancy, obviously if a woman is heavily pregnant, i give up my seat to her, but what about those women or aunties who have big tummies but are not pregnant. Nowadays clothing for pregnant woman are more and more fashionable, they no longer wear those ugly clothing for expecting ladies. Sometimes sitting in my seat in the mrt, listening to my music, i stare at the tummies of these women and wonder if they are pregnant and if i should give up my seat to them. What if they are not pregnant and i end up embarrassing myself?

Another important issue is the increasing rudeness of the middle set of singaporeans (30-60). The government has either given up on its courtesy campaign or have totally neglected it. In either case, i seriously think it doesnt work. Just last week, i was taking the bus to lavender mrt for school. This woman who was alighting, stepped on all five of my toes and then proceeded to say, "EXCUSE ME". The nerve.

And many a time, when alighting from the mrt at toa payoh, aged fat auntie types (not to discriminate against them due to their size) like to push their way into the trains before we can even alight. Whatever happened to basic courtesy. More and more i observe these acts of rudeness as i go about my daily way of life. Although they arent rampant, they are still very much noticeable. I wonder if the adult population are so rude, how do they expect the new generation to be any better?

No comments: