Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why can't i just add a smiley face

So work email has many unspoken rules, golden etiquette and what nots. Drafting it really gives me a mini headache.

I want to sound polite and nice yet not so cheerful that i irk some grumps or sound like a kid.

If my words are phrased too politely i may come off sounding like a cold bitch. No matter how i put it then i look at it, it still sounds bitchy to me. Or sometimes i think how i phrase it makes me sound like someone's boss. For example, in email i could type.

Hi John Doe,

I would appreciate if you could get me a copy of ABC company's financials. Thanks!

Regards,
Debby

I feel like i sound like that person's cold bitchy boss saying that in a authoritarian tone.

Now if i could just add a smiley face at the end of it all it will sound so much more cheery to the recipient and probably closer to how i actually speak.

Nobody ever told that u had to worry about such inconsequential things when u start working, or am i just a special case of a worry wart with an over-active imagination?

No comments: