Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Woes of a TV Buff

Read the profile of my friendster account and you'd probably find a glaring but inaccurate irony, which is how i love shopping so much but yet claim to love discovery channel and national geographic etc etc...This is totally true, thus the inaccurate irony. However much i love shopping, there is something else in my life that i love,that is to read. Reading allows me to satisfy my thirst for knowledge other hobbies and school, does not always provide.


I read lots of things but probably not as much as some of the extremely enthusiastic readers. I read selectively from various topics to give me a little bit of knowledge in various topics. Like magazines for fashion, newspapers for current news and lifestyle, business magazines that my mum subscribes to for school. However frivolous i sound when i go on and on about shopping, hairstyles and body fat, i'm also deeply interested in national issues, business news etc or rather what you'd call current affairs. I really enjoy it when my family debates on certain issues that is doggin singapore or when my and ben share our views on relationships or what nots. It allows me to put my brain and the information i've to good use, instead of letting it just rot from the inactivity due to endless VB.net programming.


From discovery and national geographic channel i learn many albeit insignificant things when put into the singaporean context. However, i learn many human issues and random stuff that will be put to good use sometime in the future. For example, that children in India are often attacked by wild coyotes, and that scientists are planning to build a massive bridge to connect North America and Europe between the narrowest part of the atlantic (closer to the north pole actually). But this is not the point, the point is while flipping through the starhub programme guide and through this time at home rotting in front of the television, i realized that the shows i want to watch are always scheduled on 'hot prime time slots', why the ''? Well simply because quite frankly i am always out on 'hot prim time slot' nights, which are usually friday, saturday and sunday nights. Really frustrating as i really have an interest in these shows. How coincidental, but i can hardly allow my life to revolve around television shows can I? So i end up watching all the shitty reruns in the afternoon.


I find with age, my memory deteriorates, like a rusty file retrieval system, over the years, i filed away lots of small titbits from reading all sorts of things and rubbish, i used to be able to retrieve those files at a snap, now ... ashamed to say i'm a little rusty.


And now *horror of horrors* back to the frivolous topic of shopping! I love to shop, i like to destress by shoving through racks of clothing ( if i cant curl up with a book, then i wil have shopping to rely on, the 2 great loves of my life, other than ben and my family of course). There is a strange relieving of anxiety and stress when i flip through racks of beautiful clothing in zara, mango or forever 21. Of course the down side to this method of relaxation is that i cant buy everything i see. Reading Sophie Kinsella's The secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic, i wonder if i will end up like her one day, a hopeless compulsive shopping and liar. Fumbling around her job and buying things on credit beyond her means. Which is why this time as a student is good practice, as everyone knows poly students are poor creatures surviving on allowances and whatever pay they get from work during holidays.


Anyway, that was a little more insight into the Not-So-Secret Dreamworld of Debby-Gone-Absolutely-Mad Poon. Hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: