Thursday, October 29, 2009

System Error

As I slowly get into the groove of being a working individual, I realize that I tend to get fixated on the little details and miss out on the big picture. In my job, which I just started 3 months ago... I was so concerned with getting the work done that I completely forgot that I'm supposed to Analyze, not just do. I'm paid to think.

And somewhere along the way, I realized that the Singapore education syllabus missed an important subject. They forgot to teach you how to think.. From primary to secondary school and even on to junior college, we are simply trained to answer the questions that are going to come out in exam papers. Like robots on clockwork, there are 2 SAs and 2 CAs in an academic year.

And then when you get to university, it's basically the same again. You go for lectures do the tutorials and then get notes from seniors and do the past year papers if available. Fair enough there are modules that require you to think more than others but then that probably amounts to 10% of all the modules you would take and they would typically be packed into your last semester as a student.

So now, 3 months into my working life, I have to start learning how to think. Something my 18 years of education did not teach me.

No comments: